• Thursday, March 29, 2007

    I Can Do That


    Well, I thought that the designs last night were great. With the exception of Andrea, who couldn’t find an “earth tone” if it was...I don’t know...outside, everyone really captured the feel of their element. Let me just say this about Matt’s winning design: I loved looking at it, but if a bell boy walked me into it at a hotel I would honestly look at him and say “You don’t want me to stay here.” Not that it wasn’t one of the most beautiful set ups I’ve seen on the show, it’s just I would scratch those tables, spill something on the floor or seating area, and probably drool on the sheets in my sleep. But for those of you who don’t have children and keep your homes as immaculate as Colin Cowie does (If you didn’t see that episode of Oprah watch the repeats this summer for it...you will feel inadequate) here is the “Close but Cheaper” version for your home.

    The mirrored side tables I found at JC Penny. They have a little more structure than Matt’s...but hey, a mirrored table is a mirrored table.


    While we are on tables, the coffee table was not as easy as I thought it would be. I guess the world isn’t that into clear tables. Who knew? This one is at John Salibello and is the only thing I ever put in these posts that says “Please call” for price. So...The sofa comes from my “go to” furniture store Ikea. I’m sure if you actually visit a store you could find a black throw there as well.

    These were actually the hardest to find this week. Surprising, since I feel like I have seen these chairs everywhere. This one is from Thomasville and can be ordered in an array of fabrics, from my understanding. Personally, I might have picked something a bit more comfortable looking. These remind me more of the chairs you sit in while being interviewed for a job...and who wants to be reminded of that while at a luxury suite or in your bedroom.

    The lighting choices were great, but I took some liberties. The floor lamp is very similar, coming from Lamps Plus it has a slightly different shade but...who really cares? The table lamps were not an easy color combination to find and when I did find it, the base was usually black with a whote shade. So, during my searching I found this lamp at Crate and Barrel and I thought it brought more consistency to the flow of the room with it’s glass base. I have a theory that I hold to when choosing lamps for a room. Either the styles should all be flattering to each other or the shades should. If I’m wrong...oh well, not the first time.

    The two accent pieces in the room that I focused on were the mirror and the glass bowl on the coffee table. If you want a beige rug...get a beige rug. I found the mirror at Horchow. This one has a bit more detail but I kind of like it better. I do find it amusing that something we used to look at a reminder of our “Brady Bunch” days, is now the “topest” of interior design. The bowl that Matt put in was ok, but if you are going to put something as a center piece to the room this one from Light Opera has a presence and demands a closer look.

    So, there it is in all its glory. And if you do put a room of it’s magnitude in your home I would love to see it and I promise, if I visit, I’ll sleep on the pullout in the den.

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Vic said...

    I agree with your assessment. Matt's room is sumptuous, but I could never spend the night in it. Too white. I would spill my red wine and pate all over that Egyptian cotton bedding, which is bad form.

    It's better that I stay in an Embassy Suites, where I can leave cracker crubs all over the place.

    March 29, 2007 at 6:27 PM  
    Blogger Vic said...

    Er, crumbs.

    March 29, 2007 at 6:27 PM  
    Blogger kora in hell said...

    For a really cheap version of the mirror:

    I was flipping through the west elm catalogue yesterday and saw this:

    sunburst wire wall art
    http://www.westelm.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?partNumber=WE-PRODa020&storeId=17001&langId=-1&catalogId=17002&viewSetCode=E&parentId=WE-SH1WALART&retainNav=true&cmsrc=WE-SH1WALART

    April 2, 2007 at 7:16 AM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home