• Friday, March 23, 2007

    I Can Do That


    Most of us don’t need a “Chef’s room” anywhere in our lives but this week’s design can easily translate into a dining room, although many Americans don’t need those anymore either. And while I am an open minded person, I am also an avid lover of the Arts and Crafts movement. Needless to say many of these designers need to go back to Period Design 101. And even though most of this design wouldn’t fit into my house (since I have mission furniture)- once again maybe some of you are interested in bringing it into yours.

    So, to get the disappointment’s out of the way let’s start with the side board. People, I looked everywhere for that side board. And unless you are going to buy the one from the PDC, which you might have to fight Tom Colicchio for since that was the selling point in the room for him, you are going to have to settle. I found this modern wood one from Crate and Barrel and I think is pretty decent and as close as we are going to get without having to buy three butcher block cutting board, stain them and put ‘em on some legs.

    The other “failed quest” was for those white chairs with the cut-out in the back. So I shot for cheap. These are from your favorite cheap place and mine, Ikea. But I think I more than make up for the missing part of this design with my choice of dining table.

    Andrea’s table was a traditional tressel table in a lovely black/brown finish. I took some liberties, but when I found this one I just couldn’t resist choosing it. Available from Stacks and Stacks, this table has the rich tone that Andrea’s had but also the geometric quality that added the manly touch for our manly chef, Tom.

    This rug is from Add a Rug and shares the rich jewel tone of the one that was in the room. Not much more to say about that.

    I loved the lamps that were on the shelves in the room, but I’m sure that they are way out of any budget I might have. Through writing this piece every week I have discovered that Target Online has one of the most varying and vast stock of lighting fixtures. This one has an obvious different base but shares the “presence” the other had in the room. And besides it’s name is Zen Reclining Table Lamp...can’t we all use a little zen in our life?

    I really love Andrea’s choice of using table runner’s down each side instead of place mats, which most the time reads very “outdoor deck” eating to me. This runner is also from Target and while it’s not as sophisticated as her pattern was, it has similar qualities...aka it’s black and white. The dishes are white, so I will leave it to you to find the shape and size that works in your home. Same for the stemware. and flat ware.

    Finally, the vases that were scattered around the room. Believe it or not, these were also impossible to find, although I swear I’ve thrown out so many plain white vases that came with arrangements from florists. But anyway, these frosted ones are from Modern Vase and Gifts. And while these are...eh...the website is great. If you are looking for a basic vase for a party or even for your house this site has it and for a decent price. I would bookmark this one.

    Oh, and before I end this I would just like to show everyone what I found on Eurway website. Looks oddly familiar, huh? And while I’m not a huge Carisa fan, I am a huge fan of sticking it to snooty judges who have evil eyes, overly animated smiles, and are fashion impaired.

    Posted by Damselfly

    5 Comments:

    Blogger Linda Merrill said...

    You do a great job with this post. I've given up doing it over at my place. I can add though that the side board is by Robert Bristow for Pucci. www.ralphpucci.net
    This info thanks to everyone's favorite GayBoys.

    I tried to find the chairs. They reminded me of the Cadette II Dakota Jackson side chair (www.dakotajackson.com) that I was looking at for a client last year. They are not the same chairs, but similar. The DK chairs were about $2,500 each in leather.

    March 23, 2007 at 12:45 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The vases Andrea used look like Haeger ceramics to me.
    (www.haegerpotteries.com)

    Check out the "Our History" link for a very interesting overview of this company's history. Founded in 1871 as a brick company, they supplied many of the bricks for the re-building of Chicago after the Great Fire.

    They shifted their focus in the early 20th century to artisan ceramics. They have been a supplier to the floral and design industries ever since. Haeger vases have beautiful, thick glazes.

    I love Haeger stuff, and collected it even before I became a floral designer. I have given the classic Royal Haeger black panther as a wedding gift.(I found it in a thrift store for $15, the couple still has it 20+ years later)

    If Andrea was smart(and I'm pretty sure she is), she got those vases at the floral wholesaler's, NOT the PDC.

    nutmeg

    March 23, 2007 at 3:29 PM  
    Blogger Linda Merrill said...

    The GayBoys to the rescue, again!

    "We thought you might be interested to know that Andrea got her chairs at Tenango (see link below).
    http://tenangoinc.com/almirah_1.html"

    Should have know. This is where Michael/John got their fabulous round banquette way back in the dark ages of Episode 1.

    March 23, 2007 at 5:01 PM  
    Blogger kora in hell said...

    Who knew Target had such a nice lamp? As for Carisa's plaid fabric -- she was right that it was in keeping with some mid-century modern styles. But the judges were right that it was rather ugly.

    And nutmeg -- thanks for the link of haeger potteries -- very interesting.

    March 24, 2007 at 9:23 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thank you so much for all the support...finding those pieces. I didn't realize that the GayBoys did this type of post ("finding the design") Thank god I'm focused on finding the cheap look-alike because thats a blog I wouldn't want to compete with....lol!

    March 27, 2007 at 1:23 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home