• Monday, March 19, 2007

    Our Chat With Elizabeth and Heather.

    We had the opportunity to hear from both Elizabeth and Heather. Thanks ladies for taking the time to answer our fun questions. We appreciate getting to know both of you better.



    Us: For us poor peasants that can’t afford the big name designs, where would you recommend that we shop at?
    Elizabeth: nice store.... called EQ3, Canadian company...
    Room Service is another for contemporary.....

    Us: If you owned stock in this item, would buy, trade or sell? Why?
    Elizabeth :
    1. Lava Lamps
    buy, everyone loves at least one in there life time
    2. Marble counter tops
    trade for trespa
    3. Media rooms
    sell, all rooms will be media rooms
    4. Motorized window treatments
    buy as long as it is an 'intelligent' fixture run by solar panels or wind
    5. Doggie doors
    buy, poop smells

    Us: If you couldn’t be a designer, what would you be doing?
    Elizabeth: marine biologist

    Us:What is your favorite
    Elizabeth :
    Movie: today it is..... 'don't look now'
    CD: The Duhks ' Your Daughters and your Sons'
    Book: Ask and it is Given by Ester Hicks
    Vacation Spot: Bora Bora
    Guilty Pleasure: massage
    TV Show: Studio 60

    Us:Any embarrassing childhood stories you would like to share?
    Elizabeth: nope

    Us: Who do you admire/respect?
    Elizabeth: Mary and Ron Hulnick

    Us: What trend do you hope never comes back?
    Elizabeth: pants that are worn bellow the bum



    Us: For us poor peasants that can't afford the big name designs, where would you recommend that we shop at?

    Heather: Hi poor peasant friend! Here’s my trick. I search high end furniture websites (my favorite is www.1stdibs.com) , print out my inspirations, then search cheapo websites for reasonable knockoffs. It does take time, but if you‘re reading this site, you must like design,,,,,I guess. It‘s actually really fun and if you don’t log into 1stdibs, you can’t see the prices that are both scary and depressing. For more modern tastes, try Minotti (www.minotti-la.com)or ConranHome (www.conran.com). Good cheapies are www.homedecorators.com and www.ballarddesigns.com. Never blow off West Elm, Pottery Barn etc. And even with Ikea, as long as everything isn’t from the same place, you’ll be ok. Lazy design is the worst and easiest mistake. ArmaniCasa can look lame if the entire room is ArmaniCasa. Basically never underestimate your own personal style with no cash or tons o cash.

    Us:Have you ever designed anything that made you say, "What was I thinking?"

    Heather: Ummmm, Hello. I think you all witnessed that moment for me.

    Us: What one commonly used object would you like to trash or rip apart when you see it? What would you replace it with?

    Heather: Ugg boots. Replace with ...anything but. Oh, object…. Wall to wall carpet Replace with…wood floors…I like concrete too..but still not an object… Ok..I’ve got it! Store bought tchochkies and bric-a-brac. Like hemlines, the home accessories market changes every season to make us consume with an eye for trends. Chose objects that emotionally engage you. Put down that little candle holder at the counter unless you love it or it reminds you of something you grew up with. Don’t have stuff around for stuff sake. Embrace your personality and invest in objects that support you.

    Us: Seduction Scene: Woman seducing man

    Heather: Caveat: Anywhere, who cares, available light, and who cares..it’s a dude, let’s not fool ourselves…but

    Best place

    Book Store

    Best color

    Black

    Best light

    Amber

    Sit? Stand? Lie down? On what?

    Hood of a car, a muscle car if possible

    Us: Seduction Scene: Man seducing woman

    Heather: Caveat: This really could go on forever…but Best place Museum

    Best color :

    Blue….as in the eyes

    Best light

    Candle

    Sit? Stand? Lie down? On what?

    All of the above, twice

    Us: You enter a newly decorated room and the host and hostess are waiting expectantly for your verdict. You absolutely hate everything about it and in it. What's the fall back phrase you'll use?
    Heather: Barbie! You look beautiful! Ken, doesn’t Barbie look amazing! You guys are so good for each other! Everyone loves to feel beautiful, so I shift the attention from the room to the person, decide to drink soda so I won’t get “honest” and excuse myself early. If I knew the couple well, I would be honest, but always find something positive to get excited about. Mostly I am positively excited I don’t have to live there, and that is the point. There truly is something out there for everyone and no reason to knock anyone’s taste.

    Us: If you owned stock in this item, would you buy, trade, or sell? Why? (List of five items)
    Heather:

    1. Lava Lamps- Buy in 1965. Trade in 1974 for the Pet Rock.

    2. Marble counter tops- Buy. Sell. Buy. Sell. Buy, but now buy in Chinese Marble instead of Italian. I am using Calcutta on every countertop on the project ( long term stay hotels) I am doing now (client must have…not mine) and we are buying all of it from China at half the price as Italy.

    3. Media rooms- No idea. I do hotels, bars and restaurants for a reason.

    4. Motorized window treatments- Buy buy buy buy…and add a timer. I want this for my apartment badly!

    5. Doggie doors- Buy, for sentimental reasonsIf you couldn't be a designer, what would you be doing?Rock star/racecar driver

    Us: What is your favorite…

    Movie: Gone with the Wind and Heathers…It’s Sophie’s Choice between the two…please don’t make me choose

    CD: Pleased to meet me: The Replacements

    Book: Catcher in the Rye

    Vacation Spot: Paris

    Guilty Pleasure: Afternoon naps

    TV Show: Friends (also a Guilty Pleasure)

    Us: Any embarrassing childhood stories you would like to share?

    Heather: I do a lot of stupid stuff I think is cool, therefore the only people embarrassed are those around me, for me. But you want specifics. Hmmmmm
    Nope, I just think I’m funny. I hold my denial close and with much love.

    Us: Who do you admire/respect?

    Heather: Anyone with the grace to fight for their beliefs without alienating the opposition.

    Us: What trend do you hope never comes back?

    Heather: Shoulder pads Mauve

    Us: Anything you would like to say to the readers?

    Heather: Have fun always! Find the irony in pain. Don’t take yourself too seriously.

    Labels:

    5 Comments:

    Blogger kora in hell said...

    CD: Pleased to meet me: The Replacements

    Right on.

    March 19, 2007 at 9:06 AM  
    Blogger Linda Merrill said...

    Great interview! Too bad these ladies weren't on longer! They would have added much needed class, sophistication and maturity (the good kind) to the experience.

    March 19, 2007 at 9:40 AM  
    Blogger Vic said...

    I felt we never really got to know Heather and Elizabeth, and these interviews helped. I wish I had gotten to see them work on individual designs more so. I suspect they had a few surprises in store for us.

    March 20, 2007 at 8:22 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hello Bloggers! I totally love reading what you have to say.

    Question:
    I read somewhere that Elizabeth made the earrings & necklaces she wore on the show - could you please find out if it is available for sale and where?

    March 23, 2007 at 11:23 AM  
    Blogger The Team of TDB said...

    Anon, here is Elizabeths reply to your question:


    "Yes, it is for sale, i am so back logged with inputing all the prices and new work... It is starting to get some very nice celebrities interest... will be posting those on my site....as well
    www.froote.com
    product
    jewelry

    thanks for your support! e. "

    March 25, 2007 at 4:07 AM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home