• Wednesday, March 7, 2007

    I Can Do That...



    Well, I’m not one for over-haulin’ my garage and if I did I don’t think it would include a stage. I think kids are great...hell, I have one...but I’m not sure a permanent stage should be a part of anyone’s decor, except maybe J Alexander from America’s Next Top Model. My problem might be that I don’t watch enough design shows and don’t know that the garage is the new “media room” which was the new “family room” which used to be the “living room”...I could keep going. Honestly, the whole design looked very first-season-Trading-Spaces to me, but who am I to judge what gets someone going. So, since I am here to help you create the same thing in your home...I think I will start at....



    ..The Container Store. In fact, I would not be surprised if that is where they started. It has every bin, basket, and bobble that they used in their organizing. And if you by chance want to use a different color than all the primary colors of the rainbow...maybe something more neutral...it has them too. All the storage units range from $9.99 to $24.99.



    The basic desk that Carisa put in the shed can also be found at The Container Store for anywhere between $180.00 and $224.00 depending on how much storage you want it to have.



    Ok, let me say this...benches are not cheap. If you want benches for that stage that you are going to have to build you might want to save some wood and build them yourself. If not, you’ll have to go to Benches by the Bunches and pay something like $104.00 for something similar.



    But the tiki hut?...is $69.98 at Century Novelty. I wonder if they did the tiki hut because the girls plays are always either about Girls-Gone-Wild at spring break or 40 somethings in the Bahamas trying to relive the spring breaks they missed in their youth. I wonder....



    I think that Erik was attempting a roman shade in his praised window dressing. I found this beige roman blind at Ikea for $19.99 and if you add some black ribbons...voila!

    Oh and you can check the car out at GMC. The MSRP is only $29,495 so I’m sure it will add the finishing touch to this lovely family retreat you’ve created in the least interesting room in your home, because come on, who actually does their living in their home anymore? You know who the real winner of that challenge was? The dad. He got the kids, wife, and dog out of the house for good!

    8 Comments:

    Blogger Linda Merrill said...

    First, how did you get all these posts done so quickly??? (not that it's a competition, but really...)

    Second: "You know who the real winner of that challenge was? The dad. He got the kids, wife, and dog out of the house for good!"

    So right!!!

    They could have created a "man cave", instead, they created a "family cave".

    March 7, 2007 at 10:12 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, TD managed to find another doorless, windowless (ok, almost windowless)three sided space with bad lighting and a funky ceiling outside of the PDC.

    No wonder the mom wanted her office in that little shed.

    Oh, and guest judge, "composing?" WTF? The designers had to organize a family's overflow stuff, not write a film score or something.

    nutmeg

    March 8, 2007 at 2:06 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm with you on the "composing" nutmeg, just wtf was he talking about?

    (((MUAH)))

    March 8, 2007 at 8:19 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So what did Erik do he created a non functioning roman blind last minute!?! and thats what the judges praise!?! I am confused i thought it looked cheap and ugly. I like Erik but still. Carisa should have went home this show was called "garage band" not "shed solo".

    March 8, 2007 at 8:54 AM  
    Blogger Vic said...

    My question is this: Who would want to sit in some tiny cramped office made in some un-airconditioned, unheated outhouse shed? Ick.

    March 8, 2007 at 9:49 AM  
    Blogger Linda Merrill said...

    I think the praise for that little window dressing was overdone and speaks to just how little decorative work there was to praise. It was similar to the praise Carisa got for her pillows made from napkins. If that's the kind of work that's sticking out - well, Bravo, we have a problem.

    I couldn't help but think that Erik was embarrassed by praise for something so... small. Good for him to notice it and do it. But still, they are all so much better than the work they are allowed to do (by necessity) on this show. He must have been thinking - what I could really show you!!!!

    I think the Carisa bashing is also overdone. She's no whinier than Michael and no where near as belligerent as Ryan. She may not have the same high-energy level as some of the others, but she is willing to get her hands dirty and seems to be able to get her work done. Andrea, as team leader, should have directed her better, if she felt she was taking too long in the shed.

    March 8, 2007 at 12:05 PM  
    Blogger Laz said...

    Good on Erik for refering to his roman shade as nothing more than what it was, a quick, 10min afterthought.

    And Ms. Place raises an excellent point; this wasn't a struggling family living in a shack. Why on earth would you NOT incorporate office space into the house itself? Was there even a phone line in the shed?

    March 8, 2007 at 12:47 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I actually wondered why it wouldn't have been more fun to turn the shed into a "backstage" with storage for the benches, drapery, and the costumes the kids would use to put on plays. And then build a platform out front so that the shed could double as a desk and a playhouse. That way on a rainy day, when mom may still need to get to the office area she can cause it's in the dry and attached garage but the kids will just have to put their play off. Besides, who wants to keep important documents like bills and bank account statements in an insecure place?

    March 8, 2007 at 2:26 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home