• Sunday, April 8, 2007

    Taste Patrol


    Three Hula Man Bobble Award

    This award goes to Carisa for the most exciting design of the week. My jaw dropped when Matt's unfinished room won.

    I had not been liking Carisa's taste in decor all season. (Too many tschotsckes, Margaret was right.) Then it dawned on me (silly person that I am) that she's been channeling the unabashed gaudy, in-your-face sense of color and design of the 60's (this room) and 70's (previous rooms).

    This room had zing and excitement.

    But can anyone recall how awful the kitchens and shaggy rugs of the 70's looked? Rust-Avocado Green-Clementine Orange-Sunburst Yellow. Those were the predominant colors back then. Uggh. No wonder I had a visceral reaction to Carisa's early orange and green striped interiors. She should have won the competition, but I don't think that Margaret wanted this funky interior showcased in Elle Decor magazine.

    Other designers have jumped onto the same visual bandwagon as Carisa. Witness these Thomas Paul pillows for Blue Flye...

    ...or the interior of the Continental Lounge in Rosslyn, Virginia.


    Now view Carisa's own living room.

    She's giddily happy with her own inspirations. No wonder Jonathan loves her style. Yet I feel that her design sensibility is destined to become tired and outdated in the blink of an eye ... as all trendy styles do. Let's hope that as Carisa matures, she broadens her design horizons.

    "Admit it, you yap flappin' bitch, I had a hand in helping you achieve your vision. Now, move your bloomin' ARSE, deal with your trust issues, and let me finish this friggin' room!"

    "Yeah, up yours, too, Carl. Whatever. Notice the title of this series is Top DESIGNER! Not Top Carpenter. Me, myself, and I intend to wallow in all the glory."

    "So? The TD fans love me more!"


    Two Hula Man Bobble Award

    This award goes to Matt and Andrea.

    To Matt, because he is the pater familias to this adoring and adorable child.




    "My daddy's bona fide!"


    "You're just a boy. Only a boy."

    "He, he, he. I'm effin' 30 years old. What are you? 80? I'm also gonna win this show 'cause Margaret loves me."

    Too bad Andrea didn't zero in on fabulous furniture shapes like this one by Jelly Bean Contemporary Furniture. Variations in shapes and textures would have jazzed up her bland room's quietly balanced but passive design.




    There are no other categories this week, dahlings. The show is down to the final two. From the previews it looks like the designers will be asked to design real interiors, and I for one can't wait to see the results!

    By Ms. Place

    Labels:

    6 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    some of the pillows in Carissa's room ARE thomaspaul!

    April 8, 2007 at 4:02 PM  
    Blogger Vic said...

    Cool. Even having missed the reference during the show (mind somewhere else)the association is clear.

    Thanks for the reminder, Anon

    April 8, 2007 at 4:24 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "My daddy's bona fide!"

    Great connection to "Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou?" Matt's little girl is as cute as Ulysses Everett McGill's little girls.

    April 8, 2007 at 8:48 PM  
    Blogger kora in hell said...

    It is nice to occasionally give Carisa some credit for the things she does well -- there is so much abuse heaped on her by most viewers.

    I have to say that Andrea's room wasn't bobbling for me. And that painting she did is really awful.

    Matt has a cute little girl but I'm a bit concerned about the "don't come home unless you win" attitude.

    So Matt has a daughter, a wife, a house, a great job. If we use that as criteria for awards then I say Carisa should win!

    April 10, 2007 at 7:58 AM  
    Blogger kora in hell said...

    I forgot to say that the
    Continental Lounge looks like a fun place. It looks like it should be in an airport.

    The think about it becoming outdated is that it is already retro so what does it mean for it to become outdated?!

    April 10, 2007 at 8:03 AM  
    Anonymous natural bodybuilding said...

    Nice connection to "Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou?" Matt's little girl is as cute as Ulysses Everett McGill's little girls.
    Muscle growth

    September 14, 2011 at 3:36 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home